It’s Easier than you Think!
The beauty of it is that if your city or town has a local children’s music concert series on a regular basis, you can usually reserve space for your party at that concert event and – BOOM! You’ve hired a rock band for your child’s birthday.
Last fall my family-friendly rock band played a kids-and-family “kindie” rock show at World Cafe Live in Wilmington, Delaware as part of their “Peanut Butter & Jams” concert series. As luck would have it, two families booked their birthday parties at the concert. There were kids dancing along to our tunes up front by the stage the whole show. Then they went back to their tables for pizza and cake.
A birthday boy from that day was so thrilled with the experience that his family recommended that his pre-school hire me for a summer camp event in Delaware.
Here are some cities where I know there are steady concert series for kids and their families where you could book your birthday party:
- Hoboken, NJ – Maxwell’s Mini Music Mondays. Okay, Okay, I know – who’s going to have their birthday party on a Monday? Well, if you like a band you saw on a Monday, you could hire them for your birthday party or, to share costs, combine with a friend who’s also having a birthday near your child’s birthday (I run the event) to book this legendary space and a band for your party – on a stage once graced by Bruce Springsteen, Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers and R.E.M.
- New York, NY – Symphony Space’s “Just Kidding” series. In this theater setting, Symphony Space uptown reserves the front few rows for birthday parties, giving your guests the best seats in the house. After the show, lunch is served in the Symphony Space’s colorful and festive lounge.
- Philadelphia, PA – Peanut Butter & Jams at World Cafe Live. Philly’s PB&J series gets nationally renowned touring kindie artists (often Grammy winners and nominees for best children’s album) and you’d have the chance to put on a truly one-of-a-kind birthday party.
- Wilmington, DE – Peanut Butter & Jams at World Cafe Live at the Queen. Wilmington’s PB&J event runs up to the same high standard as the Philly series with weekly shows available most of the year. Your birthday party can have its soundtrack provided by a professional, unique and talented kindie band.
- Vienna, VA – Tot Rock! Concert series at Jammin’ Java. The DC area has its own impressive digs to throw an amazing birthday party at a kindie concert. The name Jammin’ Java might imply a little coffeehouse, but it’s a premiere concert venue in DC, but it’s more. There’s also a recording studio and music lesson studios on the premesis. What a total place to get inspired and dream of one day rocking the house!
- Garden City, NY – Long Island Children’s Museum. Islanders have a great option for their kids’ special celebration by booking their birthday party on the day of a concert they’d like to treat their guests to. Then stay and play in the museum!
I’m sure there are steady kindie concert series that I don’t know about in other cities. Please add your knowledge of other places where a birthday party can easily be accommodated at a kindie rock concert year-round.